- Academics, athletics, the arts, relationships, learning to walk / talk, etc.
- We all watch our child “perform” in numerous ways.
- When you watch your child perform, are you cheering for their first name or their last name to succeed?
- If you’re cheering for their last name, you may be making their success your success. And their failure your failure. That’s dangerous.
- Cheering for their first name makes their success their own. That’s healthy.
- If you’re not sure who you’re cheering for, ask your child. They know.
(I wish I could remember who introduced me to this idea. Whoever you are, the credit is yours.)