- Your kid will do all kinds of things that surprise you. Some good. Some bad.
- When they do something they should not do, there needs to be a consequence.
- Some of us dads…me…are quick to just pronounce a consequence.
- These pronouncements are usually not thought out well and drastic. They can be just as surprising as the kid’s action.
- Instead of pronouncing some quick discipline,…
- cool off…take your time…and think about a consequence that will actually help your kid make better decisions in the future.
- have a calm conversation with your kid about what they did and why there has to be a consequence.
- Don’t discipline / give a consequence in the heat of the moment unless you absolutely must.
- Need an example of what not to do? Here’s a clip of my favorite dad Phil Dunphy: